Wednesday, September 07, 2005

baby girl

As a former "thespian", I love to watch Inside the Actors Studio. A few years ago Glen Close was being interviewed. She was getting down to all the nitty-gritty actory stuff that I love and she was talking about how the energy can change when a new person walks into a room. How all the molecules get shifted around. I witnessed that this morning (and in a good way).

My client delivered her first baby at 7:10 this morning. She was 7 days past due, her parents had tickets back to the west coast for this evening, and she managed to deliver before they left! And no, she decided against trying castor oil. I first heard from her last night as I was getting my kids in bed. She had been having contractions for about 3 hours, but they were still feeling ok. I suggested she go about her normal evening routine, and if they continued it was labor, and if they didn't they were probably just practice. I next heard from them around 9:15pm. They were around 5 to 3 minutes apart. I asked how she was feeling and if they wanted me to join them yet. They said all was fine, and that they would call back when they wanted me to join them.

I had a meeting of the minds with my hubby about logistics for the morning and getting the kids off to school. Headed to bed around 11pm. Got the next call at 4:45am. They were off to the hospital. I got up, washed my face, found some clean clothes, grabbed the doula bag and hit the road. I arrived at the hospital around 5:20am asked for them in triage, but they had already been moved to a room. Things must be moving I think.

Sure enough, she is dilated at 10 and beginning to push. At first it looks as if she is not really pushing, but still working through her contractions. She is part of a study being conducted at the university, and is designated in the "uncoached pushing group". I love when I have a client in this study who is in this group. Nobody counts to ten or shouts at the woman to push! PUUUSSSHHH! Everything is quiet, with the occasional encouraging statement. "You are so strong" "That was a good one" "Yep, just like that" "You are doing so well". (My client is a runner who has done marathons, I have been instructed NOT to say "You are almost there!" apparently marathoners hate that.) Her pushing stage was so great. She listened to her body and brought her baby down with each push. It was totally spontaneous and utterly amazing. Baby girl was born at 7:10am. Tears in my eyes, I snap photos.

The energy shifts to another emotional level when Grandma walks in the room. Three generations of women, cry together in joy, well the baby was mostly clearing her lungs, but I bet she could feel the energy shift too.

3 Comments:

Blogger doulicia said...

Yay! What a great birth story. I was looking forward to it.

I will just note here that even when you get the rare first-time mother, you still spend only 4 hours at the birth. Just kidding! (though I am envious. It sounds like a great way to start one's day)

September 07, 2005  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

SO BEAUTIFUL!

I wish they were doing such a study here!

I was part of a UofM study when I was born! My mother and I were followed for over 35 years!

Hh

September 07, 2005  
Blogger T$ said...

dont worry doulicia, my day is coming. I can feel a big long 36hour one in my future.... :-)

September 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home