Monday, September 05, 2005

seeing into the future

Hurricane Katrina is an unspeakable tragedy and I can't really add anything which has not already been expressed. I have only been to New Orleans once, for a friend's wedding, but like many people, developed a deep love of the city and its lively people during my brief stay there. I am stunned and aghast by the destruction.

Last night I was leafing through an old copy of National Geographic (from October 2004). I had originally bought it for the article on Hawaii's volcanoes because Andrew is WAY into them. I was stopped cold by another article in the magazine about the lost wetlands along the Louisiana coast. Check it out here. The first five paragraphs are eerily accurate to what transpired over the last week. Sadly the warnings were not heeded and now New Orleans lies underwater.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home