Monday, June 13, 2005

i love free stuff

I had the most incredible morning. I got hundreds of dollars worth of free plants! All I had to do was show up and dig them up.

A friend of mine told me about this opportunity a couple of days ago. There is this house in a town not far away that has been vacant for a number of years. My friend is a memeber of the local garden club and they announced at the last meeting that they could come to this house and take whatever plants they wanted. Well the local ladies decended on this property and make out like bandits! I met my friend there this morning in the rain. Here is what I came home with: 4 hostas an ostrich fern, 2 regular peonies, one tree peony, poppies, a bunch of irises(no idea what kind or what color), a ton of day lilies, another kind of lily, some succulents, a sundial(!), an iron structure that is pretty cool and some other kinds of things that I have no idea what they are. It was so much fun! I even found an old wheelbarrow that I may go back and get. Oh yeah, and a bunch of rocks. Amazing!

I have been playing around for a few years with plants. Although I am not a master gardner by any stretch of the imagination, it is fun and I am learning.

I felt a bit sad being at this house today. Apparantly the people who owned the house died a few years ago. I said a big thank you to the previous owners as I was pulling away this morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home