Thursday, May 26, 2005

doula notes

I got a call yesterday evening from a fellow doula who asked if I might be able to back her up the following day. I had backed her up a couple of weeks ago, and felt like I wanted to have some "good doula kharma" so I said sure. She called me in this morning to take over for her.

Since this is a public blog, I am reluctant to supply many details of the day. Suffice it to say, mom and baby are fine. I will go and visit the new family tomorrow. This is the first time I have been called in as a backup doula. Although Doulicia and I have worked together for nearly 2 years as backups for one another, I have only had to call her in once. The other doula who called me in today (not Doulicia) I had only met a short time ago, but was happy to help her out in this instance. She did cover for me over easter break when I was out of town, so I was actually happy to repay the favor. And I got to attend a birth that I didn't really expect! Since doula work is such a calling, and so unpredictable, it is really imperative to have reliable trustworthy backups in case you can't be there. I feel extremely fortunate that I now have two women I can call in time of need.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home