Tuesday, June 28, 2005

goin' to Carolina (in my mind) (and in my mini-van)

Thursday we leave for our summer vacation. We are heading to Ocean Isle, North Carolina for a week at the beach. Every couple of years our family rents a beach house and swims and plays in the surf. The kids are totally pumped up for this trip. Andrew can remember our last 2 trips to the beach and Brooke can remember the last one. Should be a good time. Although, I have LOTS to do before we hit the road....laundry, packing etc. I am not looking forward to that part.

Last Saturday I was asked to attend a doula training session and do a presentation on what it is like to be a practicing doula. Originally Doulicia and I were asked to present together, but as she was out of town, I said that I could do it solo. It was great fun! I was left with a video in case I ran out of things to talk about (HA!). I blabbered on for 2 hours no problem. I just talked about how I get clients, what to do at prenatal meetings, my rates, some business aspects of the work and how I really don't make that much money. I really don't consider it a job, like so many of my fellow doulas, it really is a calling. I just happen to make a little money at something that I love to do. I think the talk went over rather well. As I was winding down and taking questions from the group, one of the student doulas asked if I had thought about teaching, as in Childbirth education. I said that yes, I had tossed around the idea and was considering it for something in the future. Something that I haven't admitted out loud before. I took that question as a compliment. Hopefully I will be able to do this again with Doulicia in November.

1 Comments:

Blogger doulicia said...

I hope we get to present together, too!

Have a great trip if I don't talk to you before you leave

June 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home