Monday, March 07, 2005

Life with no boob toob

So March is reading month at Andrew's school. During the month they are having lots of cool reading activities, book fair and such. This week is "turn off your TV week". So far so good. Andrew got up this morning and remembered that there was no television watching and as long as he is prepared for something, he is cool with it. The tougher challenge might be Brooke. But so far she is handling it well also. But we are only on day one. I will let you know how it goes.

I signed up for a photography class through the local art center. I went last Tuesday night for my first class. There were three other women there as well. We waited (in uncomfortable silence) for about 10 minutes when I looked around and tried to crack a joke. "So, what is the college rule? Wait 20 minutes and if the teacher doesn't show we get to leave right?" No smiles, one slight giggle. Jeeze this was a tough room. We weren't sure if there was some miscommunication, or if it was because of the six inches of snow that fell during the day, but something was amiss. I know that artists are scattered, unorganized people ( I am guilty also) but it was a little lame. They just called a few minutes ago and cancelled the class. Oh, and as a side note, they had Brooke signed up for the class instead of me.

Had a prenatal visit with my April client. She is due April 14th and we talked today about her fears and concerns. She is having her 4th baby and all have been around 10 lbs. Her smallest was over 8 lbs. Her main concern is having someone (midwife in this case) come in and "take over" her birth. That happened at her last birth, so she is aware that it can happen. She is under the care of different midwives than her last birth and has hired a doula (me) to help advocate and have the kind of birth she wants.

What is the deal with all the GBS tests these days? Can any midwives or midwifery apprentices help me out here? When I had my kids (only 6 and 4 years ago) I never even had this test done? Now it seems all my recent clients are tested and concerned about it. I had one mom want to labor at home as long as possible so she could go to the hospital and just push the baby out so she wouldn't have to have the antibiotics during labor. It just seems like another trend I am seeing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home