Wednesday, February 09, 2005

the best show on television

I would like to tell you about the best show on television. You may be thinking that I am going to wax poetic about how great Desperate Housewives is or how fantastic the latest incarnation of The Bachelorette is. Firstly, Desperate Housewives looks nothing like the domestic life I lead and secondly, I have a deep loathing for all shows "reality".

I have nothing against using television as escapism,(I am a tremendous Spongebob fan) but if you want to improve your general understanding of the world we live in, there is no better show on television than Frontline.

I have become a ravenous fan of this show. Last night the featured program was all about the Saudi Royal family called The House of Saud. It outlined the history of the Saudi Royal family and explained the relationship between the Saudis and the United States. In short it was excellent. I learned so much, my brain actually felt like it had a workout. The web site link has streaming video so you can catch the show online if you happened to miss the broadcast.

Some of my favorite past shows include: The Choice 2004, The Man Who Knew, The Secret History of the Credit Card and Is Wal-Mart Good For America? The Choice 2004 was broadcast in October of 2004 right before the election. I learned more about each candidate from that show than I did watching all three of the debates, cnn, reading Newsweek or any other media outlet. (I am a huge political junkie, and I catch alot!) It was so comprehensive and detailed, it should have been required viewing for anyone who is of voting age. The Man Who Knew was a stunning biography of a man named John O'Neill an FBI agent who specialized in terrorism, especially Al Qaeda. In short, he tried to warn his bosses about the impending threat of Al Qaeda and of course nobody wanted to listen to him. They viewed him as a renegade and basically had him removed from the FBI. Ironically, he went on to a job in security with the Port Authority at the World Trade Center.

I suggest you find a block of time when the kids aren't around or your boss will be in a long meeting and watch one of the episodes on streaming video. You will be glad you did.

And in case you are wondering, yes, I am a huge Daily Show fan as well. Jon Stewart rocks!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home