Friday, February 17, 2006

I JUST WALKED!

I have been struggling lately trying to figure out just how much I should be pushing myself as far as my recovery goes. I didn't really get any clear instructions or advice from my surgeon about progress with walking or where he expects me to be the next time I see him (March 7). I have been walking with my Darth boot for the past 2 weeks and have been dropping my crutches slowly since my last surgery. First I had both crutches, then I went to one and now I am moving around the house with just my boot on. I know that that is progress.

Right after my accident, my doctor said that I would be in a cast the first 6 weeks and then a walking cast/boot the following 6 weeks. This is what I have had in my head as a time frame. I really want to get back to driving as soon as I can. I am really wanting my life and routine to get back to normal.

So today after I got out of my bath I did the most frightening thing. I walked on my broken ankle/leg without my darth boot on. I only took a few steps, but I haven't been this proud of myself since I gave birth to my kids! It was really scary, but I did it. Granted I took a pain pill before my bath and then made about 1500 circles with my ankle while I was in the warm water, but when I got out I walked on my own two feet! WOO HOO!

I am still in the middle of this tunnel, but I am beginning to see the light at the end.....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOOOO HOOOOO!
Scary isn't it?! I was wondering last night (couldn't sleep) if you'd tried to yet. I didn't want to plant any ideas if you hadn't. Yeah!
K

February 17, 2006  
Blogger doulicia said...

Congratulations! You are a tough cookie. Mentally and physically.

February 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home