Wednesday, January 11, 2006

taking stock

So what does this all mean for my doula work? Well, obviously I won't be able to take any clients for a while. Thankfully I did not have a client lined up for January, and Doulicia has agreed to take on my February client. The only other person that I had confirmed, was a mom who was due with her third child in April. Although I will most likely be back on my feet by then, I am sure I will be in the throes of physical thearpy and am not sure what my stamina will be like that early in my recovery.

Did I mention how lucky I am to have my friend doulicia as my backup? She wrote a very touching post on her blog about our relationship, and I share her sentiments exactly. We are not only colleagues, but also friends. This was brought home to me by how quickly she picked up the ball and organized a food caravan for me and my family shortly after my accident. (Gosh, I am so lucky!) Her doula heart took over and went into overdrive, and after a few quick emails, we are scheduled to have friends bring us a meal 3 nights a week, for the next 3 weeks. Is that awesome or what? Doulicia, I salute you.

This experience has not only been a huge inconvienence for me, but it has also been a huge lesson as well. It has taught me how very blessed I am. I married a truly great person. Mark has been fantastic over the past 3.5 weeks. He has worked really hard to keep up the house and the kids and also maintain his job. It is not easy doing his job, as well as mine, but he has done it really well, and with little complaint. Thanks honey, I love you so very much.

It has also shown me how many wonderful friends I have. As a doula, I am really used to giving-- Of myself, my energy, my time etc. I am a pretty independent person and I am not used to taking. I give! I am a giver! This has been a lesson in accepting help gracefully. When a situation like this happens, people come out of the woodwork and want to know what they can do to help. I give thanks to all my friends and family who have not only brought us meals, but also shuttled my kids to and from school, picked them up for playdates....and even kept them overnight. When asked what someone can do for me/us I have often said, "I'm not sure, but I will let you know." And then I do figure it out. Thank you so much: Lynn, Natalie, Alicia, Erika, Anne, Joan, Susie, Julia, Lisa, Beth, Jere and everyone else who I am forgetting. I am supremely lucky to be surrounded by such an awesome support system. We honestly couldn't have gotten this far without all of you.

So, as for the rest of 2006, and my doula prospects. I hope to be helping another former client this May. I ran into her not long before my accident, and she asked if I was available in May. Right now, I anticipate that I will be. Attending that birth in May, will mean it will have been 7 months between clients. The longest stretch between clients since I began practicing. I plan to take it slow. My overall health is what is most important to me. If I am not 100% then I will be of little use to others.

3 Comments:

Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

I admit it. I'm a little jealous. Since I spent some time in Ann Arbor in my youth...I can picture you two working together, being pals.

Yeh, I'm jealous.

'Scuse me...I need to go have a good cry over how _alone_ I am out here sometimes.

Hh

:)

January 12, 2006  
Blogger doulicia said...

O.K. No fair making me get all teary at work! You know nobody is doing more that you would do yourself if the situation was reversed.

And I have to say, it is a gift you are giving to all of us, letting us help you. Hopefully you can enjoy being a "receiver" for just a little while. Just like the mothers at the footbaths we do have to just sit there and be blessed, so, to do you.

January 12, 2006  
Blogger doulicia said...

p.s. I meant to compliment you on how WELL you are handling all the help. You've made it very easy for us to do something that makes us feel useful. Thank you for not protesting too much. You are bearing this with much grace!

January 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home