Saturday, December 24, 2005

the one where i talk about my broken ankle

Before I begin, let me apologize for any typos or bad grammar. I am under the influence of heavy narcotic drugs.

Why may you ask am I under the influence of narcotics? I broke my ankle -- no, shattered my ankle December 18th in a freak sledding accident. Mark described the crash as looking like the one Dale Earnhard died in a few years ago. I slid along the fence for a while until my ankle met its untimely end with a fence pole. Brooke was on the sled with me and came out of it without a scratch -- thank God. My first concern was for her and that she was hurt. Then I looked at my flopping ankle and my concern shifted.

As luck would have it, we were sledding with some friends, one of which is an ER doctor at a local hospital (handy!). At first he suggested to Mark that they load me into our van for a quick ride to the hospital. I countered and requsted they call 911. I would be riding in an ambulance, thank you very much. The pain was like nothing I have experienced before, and mind you -- I have 2 children. Another added bonus of having a doctor on the scene, is he was able to prescribe some morphine for me immediately. Thanks Phil!

When we arrived at the hospital the ER staff quickly diagnosed a broken and dislocated ankle with a tibula fracture (exposed). EEEEWWW. They pumped me full of drugs and whisked me off to surgery. Before the surgery, the doctor described what he would be doing as a "car wash" a quick in and out thing where they would clean me up and then do more repairs a day or two later. However, once I was in surgery, they decided to put Humpty back together again. Specifically by using 8 screws to hold my ankle together. Two days later they did the "car wash" surgery.

I was in the hospital from Sunday thru Thursday. I was really glad to get back home. By the end of my stay, I was actually beginning to be ignored. The nurses were forgetting to bring me my medication, and the techs were slacking off as well. At least if I am home, my family cannot forget about me!

I am doing well overall. I go back to my doctor tomorrow for a post-op appointment. I heard a rumor that I will be getting a hard cast tomorrow. I have yet to decide which color I want. My niece suggested purple, but I am leaning toward hot pink. I am still on medication, but am feeling better day by day. I will be on crutches for another 5 weeks and then I will be in a walking cast for 6 weeks after that. I cannot drive until March!!! My goal is to not gain 50 pounds as I sit on the couch and wait for my ankle to stop throbbing.

As a result of this accident I will never again be able to watch the movie MISERY , the scene where Kathy Bates breaks James Caan's ankle will haunt me until the end....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home