Tuesday, October 04, 2005

my friend, the author

So I just got an email from my friend Joe Florenski. His book about Paul Lynde has finally come out. I have a friend who is an author! How cool is that?!

Joe and I were good friends in high school. He was one of the few things I looked forward to in 11th and 12th grade. We had long fabulous chats about pop music (mine mostly focused on Duran Duran, his mostly on Abba) and various pop culture events of the mid 1980's. We kept a notebook devoted to these chats and would pass them back and forth in between classes. [Brilliant move on our part. It actually looked like we were taking notes!] A good portion was also devoted to Bob Geldof, Band Aid and Live Aid. These were huge important events to a coule of teenagers in Northern Michigan in 1985. I even gave Joe all 3 of my Live Aid VHS tapes. Lucky for me, they have recently come out on DVD!

Joe is the only person I know who became a pop culture major in college. He inspired me to devote an entire research paper to John Lennon and instilled a deep appreciation for the music of the Beatles. (I still love them!) He had (and still has) a vicious sense of humor, a short temper and a wicked tounge. All things that I adore about him. I believe I was the only girl he ever took out on a date. He came out to me one summer when we were home from college. He is a great person, and one of the few people from high school that I still talk too! I love and adore him. Buy his book!

1 Comments:

Blogger doulicia said...

How cool! Good for him.

Ya know, the first date I ever went on was with a guy who later came out (to no one's surprise).

I wonder if this is a common pattern among doulas! (jk)

October 12, 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home