Thursday, October 20, 2005

adventures in parenting

I know, it's just about the lamest title, but it accurately describes my life over the past week.

Last weekend Andrew hosted his first "sleep over party". It was his own idea and he and 2 buddies had been talking about it since school started. I was a little apprehensive to have a sleep over with first graders. Aren't they a little young for it? When did I start having sleep overs? Would I have to drive boys home in the middle of the night? This was all totally uncharted territory for me.

I can't remember when I last had a sleep over. I am sure my first one involved my friend Valerie, who was my best friend growing up and lived only 3 doors away from me in Detroit. I guess it must have been around age 7, but I honestly can't remember. I do remember the sleep overs in grade school, prank phone calls, truth or dare, and the always popular "light-as-a-feather-stiff-as-a-board". Good times. Girl stuff, lots of giggling and silliness.

Boy sleep overs are altogether different. These guys are all about moving their bodies. They start off playing basketball in the driveway, then they move to the basement to play football. Next they take a break for Pizza. I try to calm them down by putting in a movie and making popcorn, but it doesn't hold their attention and I get tired of breaking up the wrestling matches. I decide to start talking like Yoda. "Banished to the basement you are!" I pop in Star Wars. But the boys demand that I refer to it as "Episode 4" which makes no sense to me because I am always calling it "the first Star Wars" (Um, because it WAS the first Star Wars, duh!) it's all very confusing. By the time Luke Skywalker saves the republic by blowing up the Death Star, it is closing in on midnight. I can't believe these kids are still awake! I hustle them upstairs into their jammies and into bed. I explain the rule that it is now time to sleep and I want them to quiet down. No more WWF for the night. I close the door and walk out.

Minutes later I am downstairs, snuggled on the couch with Mark (who has done the equivelent of not much all night) and we flip on Letterman. I listen upstairs for sounds of tumbling and more wrestling, but all is quiet. I tiptoe upstairs and peek in the room, they are all asleep! How in the world did I do that?

Overall the "sleep over party" was a total success. It was relatively easy! No midnight trips home for the guests and everyone was happy to eat blueberry buttermilk pancakes the next morning. Andrew is already making plans for the next one...

I was also going to post about Andrew puking all over his bed last night, but it was so totally gross that I need a few days to recover from it. Suffice it to say, I have managed to avoid an all out puke fest since I became a mother 7 years ago. I have been living a charmed life. However, that all came to a halt last night. The good news is, he is feeling much better this morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home